Tuesday 1 June 2010

Saturday 22 May Palermo, Sicily.

Ranked by our guidebook as one of the top 20 Things Not To Miss in Sicily, is the Sicilian Puppet Museum. Despite my skepticism that such tomfoolery could hold my interest, I found myself on a spiritual journey of discovery. For centuries this important entertainment medium provided escapism for the populace of Sicily. Puppeteers took their craft seriously, and if a puppet 'died' during a performance it was dismantled as it couldn't be used again in that form. The puppets depicting Christians were detailed and individualised while those representing the Saracens were largely uniform, if not faceless. The international section contained Vietnamese water puppets and a large Balinese collection.

Actually, it was as tedious as it sounds. And how can what claims to be the world's premier puppet museum (I don't imagine the competition is stiff) make no mention of the muppets?

Things you wish you'd never found out about your spouse #3 She 'loves Punch and Judy'.

3 comments:

  1. I'm not holding my breath to find out what the other 19 'things not to miss' in Sicily. Do they have Barometer World, or a Paperweight Museum, or a 'teapottery'? All to be found in Devon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ridiculous. She's still at it. I found a schedule for puppet shows in her bag only this morning.

    Let that be a lesson to you slavish followers of guidebooks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HOW can they forgo the muppets? blasphemy if you ask me.

    ReplyDelete