Wednesday 16 June 2010

Friday 11 June, Peschici in the Gargona National Park

Your correspondent would like to formally acknowledge the following:
- The forebearance of his spouse in looking after the children once again while the Umbra forest in the Gargona National Park was explored on mountainbike.

Released from the campsite early, with the bike on the back, the windows wound down and the open road ahead of me, the Gargona National Park reverberated to the sound of freedom. And that sound was AC/DC. Then Iron Maiden. Then Guns 'n' Roses. In fact, all the music banned by 75 % of the family in the normal course of events.

A very simple ride today. To the top of mountain, then straight down, and I mean straight down, for half an hour. Then the inevitable climb back to the top. I did stop a couple of times during the descent to drink in the quiet and solitude, but all I heard were the bells of wandering sheep. Or that could possibly have been tinnitus brought on by listening to hard rock at maximum volume.

The climb back to the van gave me ample opportunity to ponder a flaw deep in my psyche. And that flaw is this. During periods of physical activity such as a one hour climb, my brain dredges its depths for the blandest, most irritating song it can think of to play on a loop in time to the pedals. Today, that song was This Is My Moment by some ex soap actress. I doubt any of you can remember it. Until today, I didn't know I could, and indeed all I did remember was the first two lines. Continuously. For an hour.

Things That Don't Happen At Home #6 Missing the World Cup opening game. Or indeed any World Cup game. In the home of the defending champions I am aghast at the lack of coverage.

Some of the simple things in life that bring pleasure when you're in the second month of campervanning:

- A new toothbrush.
- Your daughter not pointing out a grey patch in your beard.
- A freshly laundered towel
- The citronella candle not tipping over and spilling molten wax into the gas ring.
- Stupid ******* children's play parks that advertise themselves as being 'open every day' actually being open when you drive there.

No comments:

Post a Comment