Tuesday 20 July 2010

Wednesday 14 July Frankfurt

A very relaxing day in Frankfurt, with bookshops, cafés, playgrounds  and applewine houses filling the morning and early afternoon. 

Back at the house, Chloe's dogged assistance of Dirk's gardening activities reminded me of 3 months of Chloe's second favourite phrase.* 

Invariably delivered with a questioning and hopeful look that could only be answered in the positive, Chloe would ask: "Please may I help you..."

- Water the garden? 
Just give me the water and the time and I will systematically drown all your plants. 

- Fetch the picnic from the car? 
Of course, this just means you'll have to carry a 2 year old as well as the picnic basket and blanket but I'll press the button to open the car for you. 

- Put up the awning?
I'm very good at holding tent pegs and second to none at nipping my fingers on bits I shouldn't be touching. So delaying the task completion while I am comforted.

- Take Maddie to the toilet? 
That way you get to carry me back after I've provided so much distraction in the toilets that you arrive back at the van not sure if Maddie has flushed, washed her hands, or passed solids.  

- Put the bed away? 
I can ineffectually hold the bottom section up while pushing in the wrong direction and getting in the way. 

- Fold the table? 
You might take three times as long to do it, but I am very good at closing the catches at the end.  

- Hang up the laundry? 
I will carefully transfer the wet washing from the bag to the clothes line via the dusty ground

- Wash the dishes? 
I add value, not just by squirting in seven times the required amount of washing liquid, but also with my careful dish rinsing and smearing with the cloth I chew for the duration.

*Her Number 1 favourite phrase is 'NO MADDIE!'   

No comments:

Post a Comment