Tuesday 20 July 2010

Thursday 15 July Frankfurt/Heidleburg

I thought this trip would educate my children, I really did. Then we visited Frankenstein's castle. 'Look', said Maddie, 'a Roman theatre!' The object of her attention was a small series of tiered seats focused on a grassy stage.

Wrong Maddie, on two obvious counts. 

Firstly, the functional nature of most mediaeval castles meant the retention of such period features as a Roman theatre was rare. 

Secondly, almost without exception, the Romans used Roman concrete as their building material not wood.

That child just never listens.   

Things that don't happen at home #9 Since the reduction of my functional footwear collection by 50%, my one remaining, fully enclosed, pair have acquired a strange new aroma. The end result is a dash for the bathroom every time I enter a house which by convention operates a shoe free policy. Which is all of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment