Wednesday 14 July 2010

Metaphor* Maddie

Maddie has been exploring the English language and its possibilities for articulating her thoughts and feelings in new ways. After some frankly poor efforts on this front, she recently nailed her first proper simile with "I'm as hungry as a giant who hasn't eaten any children". 

Obviously thinking she was on to a winner with this one, later in the day on being asked if she had enjoyed a particular activity she replied  "I'm as happy as a giant who's, er...playing."

Then: 'I'm as angry as a giant who's had no children for breakfast.'   

Then: 'My hunger is as big as two giants.' 

Some further work required on her comparative phrases I feel and perhaps expansion beyond Jack and the Beanstalk inspired analogies.

*Grammar pedants will note that no metaphors are contained in the above, but Simile Maddie lacked the alliterative punch I desired.         

No comments:

Post a Comment